Coroner resigns to run for seat on commission

Howard Sanders resigned as Oglethorpe County coroner on Wednesday to run against county commission District 1 incumbent Lewis “Phil” Sanders in the general primary.

 

As of 9:40 a.m. Wednesday, Howard Sanders was one of eight people who had qualified for the three commission seats and two Board of Education seats on the ballot this year. 

 

Qualifying opened at 9 a.m. Monday and ends at noon Friday, March 11. The general primary is scheduled for May 24.

 

Howard Sanders said he had several residents ask him if he would consider running this year, and after “about four weeks” of thought and prayer, he decided to do it.

 

He said he had to resign as coroner because it is an elected position, and Georgia law states that individuals can’t hold two elected positions at the same time.

 

He was first elected coroner in 2016, and his current term runs through 2024. 

 

Steve McCannon, election assistant of the Oglethorpe County Board of Elections, said Oglethorpe County Probate Judge Kayla Grier will appoint someone to serve the remainder of Howard Sanders’ term.

 

Howard Sanders had been with the coroner’s office since 1996, first as deputy coroner and then coroner.

 

Phil Sanders and Howard Sanders also face opposition from Darrius Tompkins, who lists his occupation as poultry farmer.

 

In the other races:

  • David Clark, the District 3 incumbent, has qualified for that seat, as has Debra Furbish, who lives in Winterville.
  • District 5 incumbent Tracy Norman has qualified. 
  • Susan Robinson qualified for the Board of Education’s District 3 seat that was left open by Dave Hawkins, who isn’t seeking re-election because the district lines were changed.
  • Rebecca “Becky” Soto, who represents BOE District 5, has qualified. She is the chair of the BOE. 

All candidates for the county positions qualified as Republicans.

 

State Rep. Trey Rhodes, who represents District 124 (which changed from the 120th District) will face opposition from Kat Howkins.

 

“With the change in House district numbers, we’ll have to mail out notices to the 11,200 registered voters to inform them,” McCannon said.

 

He added that the office has expended its postage budget, so this will be an added expense for the county.